Validated Learning Complies with Section 2-D of Article I of Title I of the Consolidated Laws of New York.
Validated Learning Co. services comply with all applicable provisions of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) (15 USC 6501 et seq.) To the extent COPPA applies to information we collect, we process such information for educational purposes only, at the direction of the partnering School Customer and on the basis of educational institution consent. For additional information on COPPA and educational institution consent, please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s Complying with COPPA: Frequently Asked Questions.
VLC’s COPPA & New York Section 2-D Compliance Policies
Validated Learning Co. takes student data privacy seriously. In alignment with U.S. Federal Law and Article 1 – Section 2D of the Laws of New York, we take the following actions to ensure student data privacy:
- Validated Learning Co. (VLC) limits access to students’ education records to teachers and administrators who are named employees of the institutions with whom we partner, and only for legitimate educational interests
- VLC does not use the education records for any purpose other than those explicitly authorized in our contract.
- Except for our authorized representatives, to the extent they are carrying out the contract, VLC does not disclose any personally identifiable information to any other party without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible student; or unless required by statute or court order and the party provides a notice of the disclosure to the department, district board of education, or institution that provided the information no later than the time the information is disclosed, unless providing notice of the disclosure is expressly prohibited by the statute or court order.
- VLC maintains reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of personally identifiable student information in our custody.
- VLC uses encryption technology to protect data while in motion or in our custody from unauthorized disclosure using a technology or methodology specified by the secretary of the United States department of health and human services in guidance issued under Section 13402(H)(2) of Public Law 111-5.
If you have any further questions about Validated Learning Co., COPPA, or Section 2-D, please contact us.